My mother, the founder of Welcome Wings Aviary, found great joy in naming all of our pets, often taking several weeks to compile a list of names using a strict set of criteria:
1. In our family, all pets were given “human” names to keep a running theme and make it feel more like they were truly part of the family.
2. The name had to have a meaning that held some significance, whether it related to the animal species, personality, colour or their species origin. For example, our dog “Tanner”‘s name literally means “tanned leather” or “a person who tans leather”. Tanner is a brown/red dog. Another of our dogs is “Ryder”, whose name means “knight”. He came into my life at a time I was very alone and desperately needing companionship — my knight in a fur coat.
3. The name had to be easy to say, both for us and in the case of a bird who may learn to mimic it. Birds benefit from short names with clearly defined syllables. For example, “Cody” has a hard “c” sound, making it easier to say than “Sophie”.
4. The name was not to start with the same letter as another pet or human family member.
5. Of course, we had to like the name, and foresee continuing to like it throughout the life of the pet.
As you can imagine, the list of possible names grew shorter with each pet we added to the family, making The Great Name Game more challenging (and therefore more fun to play!).
While your criteria may not be as strict as ours was, naming your pet is a big responsibility and one that many find a daunting task. We’re here to help get you started! Let’s play “The Great Name Game” together! Some of the names below were our own creation and others have been submitted by viewers of our website.
The astrix (*) beside some names indicate that we have used these on one of our own pets, currently or in the past. We’d love for you to love them as much as we do!
Male “Human” Names
- Mike (Mikey)
- Rick (Ricky)
- Lucas (Luke)*
- Oliver (Ollie)*
- Fin, or Finnegan
Female “Human” Names
Colour Themed Names
Personality Themed Names
- (Court) “Jester”
- Marbles (for the crazy bird!)
- Bolt or Relay (for the speedy bird)
Nature & Outdoor Themed Names
- Shady or Shade
- Jasper (Jasper National Park, or the Jasper Fir Tree)
- Delilah (Lil for short)
- Sunny or Sunshine
- Cirrus (type of cloud covering characterized by wispy thin clouds way up high in the sky)
- Stratus (type of cloud covering characterized by long soft clouds low-hanging over horizon)
- Rain or Rainy
Names for a Pair of Birds
- Kit and Kat
- Shady and Sunny
- Jelly and Bean
- Mary-Kate and Ashley
- Rachael and Ross
- Batman and Robin
- Mickey and Minnie
- Margarita (“Marg” or “Margie” for short!)
- Aloha (“Ali” or “Lo” for short)
Food Themed Names
Television & Pop Culture Names
- Brady (from The Brady Bunch, perfect for a bird with lots of siblings, or a bird going to a multi-bird household!)
- Banksy (internationally renounced graffiti artist — perfect for the bird who loves to get “creative” destroying their toys or is very colourful, like a graffiti painting)
- Marcel (Ross’ pet monkey from the TV series FRIENDS)
- Paulie (from the movie Paulie, staring a talking parrot)
- Nemo (from Finding Nemo)
- Elsa (from Frozen)
- Aurora (from Sleeping Beauty)
Do you have a clever pet name that should be on this list? Email and let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org